Labs will appear in the MA 1022 WWW home page, usually on the Friday before the lab. It will help you if you read the lab before your lab period. There will be five lab reports turned in for a grade this term. Lab reports will be turned in in your lab section. Late labs will not be accepted without prior arrangement with the instructor.
Each of the lab reports is to be completed jointly by you and a lab partner. You may change lab partners as you wish throughout the term, however, you and your partner must be in the same section. If you have trouble finding a partner for a lab, please see your instructor or IA immediately.
Your lab report will consist of a hard copy of your annotated Maple worksheet. Put a title (Lab Report 1) at the top of the first page and follow this with the authors' names and section (Sally Jones and Joe Smith, Section 4).
Next, give a short summary, probably three to five sentences, that describes the major points/goals of the lab and the mathematical concepts addressed. This should be in your own words, not just a restatement of something on the lab sheet. This summary should be written after you have completed all of the exercises of the lab.
Lastly, address the various exercises of the lab. Each exercise discussion should start with the number of that exercise prominently displayed. After the Maple commands and output for the exercise, give a paragraph that explains the role of the Maple work, identifies the solution to the problem and draws any conclusions that need to be made. Your explanation and conclusion for a given exercise must immediately follow the Maple work for that exercise. Identify answers with the appropriate units (feet, meters per second, square inches, etc.). Of course, your comments should be given in full sentences that are grammatically correct.
Lab reports that are due at the start of a subsequent lab period must be printed out before the start of that lab period.
The Maple work that is in the lab report should only contain material that is directly pertinent to the exercises. False starts on problems, mistyped commands that produce extraneous output must be deleted from your worksheet.
The reports for all sections of the course will be graded by the Instructor's Associates (IAs) for the course, Dina Solitro and Jane Bouchard. Approximately 10% of your grade will be based on Section I, Lab Summary, while the other 90% will be based on Section II, Maple printout with comments.
The major portion of your grade will be determined by the correctness of your mathematical work. However, your report grade could suffer if you have misspelled words, incomplete sentences, and/or other grammatical errors.
This document was generated using the LaTeX2HTML translator Version 97.1 (release) (July 13th, 1997)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.
The command line arguments were:
latex2html -split +0 report2C00.tex.
The translation was initiated by William W. Farr on 1/17/2000
William W. Farr