Labs will appear in the MA 1022 WWW home page, usually on the Friday before the lab. It will help you if you read the lab before your lab period. There will be three lab reports turned in for a grade this term. Lab reports will be handed in on Thursdays (part 1) and Fridays (parts 1 and 2) in lecture. Late labs will not be accepted without prior arrangement with the instructor.
This term the labs and writeups will be split up over two weeks. The first part of each lab will cover the background material and basic Maple commands. The second part of each lab will deal with more involved problems. The purpose of the first writeup is to provide you with feedback. You will be allowed to correct any errors on the exercises for the first part on your final lab writeup, and only your final answers will count toward your grade.
A separate writeup will be required for each part of the lab. The format is detailed below. You should use this format for both parts of your lab. A sample writeup using this format will be posted on the bulletin board across the hall from the Math Lab (SH 306)
Your writeup for the first part of each lab will be graded and returned to you at your next lab session. You should use this graded lab to help you prepare your final lab report. In particular, your final lab report must contain the answers to the exercises for part 1 (with any corrections indicated by the IAs) and part 2 of the lab. Only the grade on your final lab report for each lab will count toward your grade. However, if you fail to turn in the first writeup at the appropriate time, you will not get credit for the exercises for the first part of the lab in your final report.
Each of the lab reports is to be completed jointly by you and a lab partner. You may change lab partners as you wish throughout the term, however, you and your partner must be in the same section and you should not change partners between part 1 and part 2 of a lab. If you have trouble finding a partner for a lab, please see your instructor immediately. Each lab report should consist of two parts as follows:
The reports for all sections of the course will be graded by the Instructors' Associates (IAs) for the course, Christine Palmer and Jane Bouchard. Approximately 10% of your grade will be based on Section I, Lab Summary, while the other 90% will be based on Section II, Maple printout with comments.
The major portion of your grade will be determined by the correctness of your mathematical work. However, your report grade could suffer if you have misspelled words, incomplete sentences, and/or other grammatical errors.
You may discuss the lab with other groups in the class. However, you must not copy the worksheet or parts of the worksheet of another lab group. If labs that are essentially duplicates are found during the grading process, the groups affected could lose credit entirely for the lab. You should be aware that stiffer penalties can also be imposed, as described in the WPI Academic Honesty Policy.
This document was generated using the LaTeX2HTML translator Version 96.1-e (April 9, 1996) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.
The command line arguments were:
latex2html -split 0 report2C97.tex.
The translation was initiated by William W. Farr on Mon Jan 20 09:30:20 EST 1997