- (20 pts) Find the length of the portion of the helix
r(t) = (4 cos t)i + (4 sin t)j + 3tk
corresponding to the interval 0 t /2.
Arc length =
Arc length =
- (20 pts) Can anything be said about the speed of a particle whose acceleration is always orthogonal to its velocity? Give reasons for your answer.
The particle has velocity V and acceleration A given by
This implies ds/dt = 0 or d2s/dt2 = 0. Setting aside the case ds/dt = 0 as trivial (the particle is not moving), we conclude that d2s/dt2 = 0, i.e. ds/dt = const (the speed is constant).
- (20 pts) Show that the function
has no limit as (x, y) approaches (0, 0).
As the point (x, y) approaches (0, 0) along y=kx, then
This limit depends on k and therefore the function has no limit at the origin.
- (20 pts) Find for
- f = e-x sin (x + y)
- f = 1 + xy2 + ln y
- (20 pts) Find the directions in which the function
What is the direction of the level curve
- increases most rapidly at the point (1, 1);
- decreases most rapidly at the point (1, 1).
f(x, y) = const = f(1, 1)
at this point?
The level curve has the direction
- The most rapid increase occurs along the vector v
- The most rapid decrease occurs along the vector -v
perpendicular to v.
Back to the top
Created by Henry Fink
Last updated: Sunday, September 28, 1997