Next: About this document
Up: Curves on surfaces
- Generate the contours for the following functions and
describe what you see.
- The contours that Maple plots are generated at equally-spaced
values of z. Can
you relate the distance between the contours in a two-dimensional
contour plot to (average) rates of change of the function?
- Can you distinguish between the two-dimensional contour plots of
and ? If so, how? If not, how would you overcome
- Report the values of a, b, , and used in the
first three examples of the SurfLoop command. Explain how these
choices generated the slices described there. Try to explain
graphically why the directional derivatives have the values given.
- Consider the function . Compute
the directional derivatives for the following
values of a, b, and .
- a=-1, , .
- a=-1, , and in the direction of .
- a=1, , and in the direction of .
William W. Farr
Wed Apr 12 16:40:36 EDT 1995